HALL OF FAME
The Racquetball Canada Hall of Fame was established to honour those involved with the sport of racquetball who have distinguished themselves as being an exceptional athlete or member of an exceptional team or a person who has made a significant contribution as a builder of sport.
The Racquetball Canada Hall of Fame was introduced in 2016, with the first members being inducted at the 2017 Canadian Championships Banquet.
Inductees can become honoured members of the Hall of Fame in one of two categories:
- In the Athlete Category for outstanding achievements as an individual or a team
- In the Builder Category for outstanding contribution to the sport as a leader, administrator, official, coach, business leader, media or in other roles
HALL OF FAME HONOURED MEMBERS
Class of 2017
|Sherman Greenfeld, Athlete||Cliff Hendrickson, Builder||Lindsay Myers, Athlete|
|Heather (Stupp) Meyer, Athlete|
Class of 2018
|Mike Ceresia, Athlete||Josée Grand’Maître, Athlete||Christie (Van Hees) Huczek, Athlete|
|Gary Ness, Builder||Cal Smith, Builder|
Class of 2019
|Kris Odegard, Athlete||Simon Roy, Athlete||Roald Thompson, Builder|
Racquetball Canada recognizes those who contribute to the sport through an annual awards program designed to celebrate and promote the outstanding achievements and contributions of athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers, sports leaders and builders of the sport.
Racquetball Canada introduced the Ivan Velan Award in 1985, which was named in honour of Racquetball Canada’s second President. Over the years, other awards have been added to the awards program, which now include six awards. In addition to the Ivan Velan Award, two other awards honour members of the Canadian racquetball community. In 1985 Racquetball Canada introduced an award to honour Marc Caouette of Edmonton, who made significant contributions to junior programs in Alberta and across Canada. And in 2015, Racquetball Canada paid tribute to Susan Livingston, a long-time advocate of women in sport and supporter of racquetball, by re-naming its Women’s Award in her honour.
Racquetball Canada Annual Awards
- Ivan Velan Award – recognizes the efforts of administrators, builders, athletes, coaches and officials who have made a significant contribution to racquetball. Read more about Ivan Velan and his contribution to sport here.
- President’s Award – acknowledges the contribution of individuals who may not fall within the categories of the Ivan Velan Award.
- Coaching Award – Racquetball Canada’s coaching excellence award.
- Susan Livingston Award – acknowledges the contribution of those advancing women in the sport of racquetball.
- Long Service Award – recognizes those who have given long service to the organization, but may not qualify for the Ivan Velan Award.
- Marc Caouette Award – recognizes an individual who has made a significant contribution to junior programs and athletes.
RACQUETBALL CANADA AWARD RECIPIENTS
Racquetball Canada invites nominations for the Racquetball Canada Hall of Fame and the Racquetball Canada Awards from any interested individual. The deadline for nominations for any calendar year is midnight CST, January 31st.
Hall of Fame
- Click here for the Hall of Fame Criteria
- Click here for the Athlete Hall of Fame Nomination Form in a PDF format
- Click here for the Athlete Hall of Fame Nomination Form in a Word format
- Click here for the Builder Hall of Fame Nomination Form in a PDF format
- Click here for the Builder Hall of Fame Nomination Form ins a Word format
Hall of Fame Selection
Each nomination is reviewed by the Racquetball Canada Hall of Fame Selection Committee, which recommend each year’s inductees to the Racquetball Canada Board of Directors. The process of selecting the inductees is extensive and follows the policies and procedures established by the Board of Directors.
Click here to download the Hall of Fame Policy and Selection Process
- Click here for the Racquetball Canada Awards Criteria
- Click here for the Racquetball Canada Awards Nomination Form
Each nomination is reviewed by the Awards Committee, which recommends award nominees annually to the Board of Directors. The award selection policy is currently being developed. The deadline for nominations for any calendar year is midnight CST, January 31st.